Thursday, December 26, 2013

Joy to the World

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are filled with activities,
but what do we do on December 26th 
if we aren't going to celebrate Kwanzaa?
Here's an idea: wait until dark and then drive through the neighborhood 
to look at Christmas lights.


Most of  my neighbors put up white lights
--and I have done that in the past as well--
but white lights are a little more ho hum 
than ho ho ho as far as Christmas lights go.
That's why tonight when I explored the neighborhood,
I was glad to see lots of colored lights, lighted wreaths, and lighted reindeer.
There were even a couple of inflatable snowmen and one inflatable Santa.


But what I liked the best were lighted bright red "joy" signs
on the front lawn of a few of my neighbors' homes.
I love the white star shining over the letter "o,"
and the bright red letters shining out into the darkness.


My dad always left his decorations up until January 6th--
the feast of the Epiphany.
That's something to think about for those of you who aren't ready 
to bid farewell to the joy of Christmas just yet.
<>


No comments: