Friday, November 22, 2013

Reflections on Falling Leaves

This morning for the first time in a long time,
I had time to look out the window 
and watch the breeze blowing through the trees.
It's funny the way the wind can make the leaves 
seem to boil and bubble.


Attached to their branches, the leaves dangle or rock or sway.
Sometimes they wiggle just a little 
or jump up and down,
or twist and turn.
If they were weren't so soft, they would rattle.
What a symphony that would be.

I noticed that depending on the type of leaf,
they all fall differently.
Some drift,
some waft,
some spiral and spin.


Sometimes one leaf takes off alone,
other times they come down in twos or tens or more.

 


If I were a leaf, I think I would hang on tight to my branch
until the last possible moment.
I'd watch as my companions drifted away.
But I would wait.
I'd wait until I heard a whisper saying
let go now,
let go.
And then I would fly away on invisible wings
and feel the sunshine.
<>


No comments: