Saturday, November 30, 2013

Farewell, November

November 30th, the last day of "my" autumn.
Tomorrow, December 1st 
will be the beginning of the Christmas season in my house.
I'm looking forward to lots of Christmas decorating,
tree trimming, wreath hanging, and cookie baking--but not today, not yet.


Today, I say good-bye to November
with this quote by the writer Lin Yutang (1895-1976):

"I like spring, but it is too young. 
I like summer, but it is too proud. 
So I like best of all autumn, 
because its tone is mellower, 
its colours are richer, and it is tinged with a little sorrow. 
Its golden richness speaks not of the innocence of spring, 
nor the power of summer, 
but of the mellowness and kindly wisdom of approaching age. 
It knows the limitations of life and it's content."
~

And so it is with the striking of the midnight hour here in the Shire,
I'll say good-bye to warm  russet reds and golds,
bright oranges and  deep yellows
and I will say hello to red and green, silver and gold.
<>

No comments: