Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Gaggle of Geese

Yesterday morning I drove to work along a local parkway
that winds through neighborhoods and passes by a lake --
the same lake where I saw all the snowy egrets evenly spaced along the shore.
Suddenly all the traffic on both sides of the parkway came to a full stop.
That in itself isn't unusual in an area with more than its share of traffic jams,
but traffic rarely stalls on the parkway at that time of day.

When I got closer, I could see what everyone was sitting and waiting for:
a gaggle of Canadian geese who had decided to cross the road
at their own sloooooow pace.
And when I say gaggle I mean not a few 
but dozens of geese streaming from the lake to a green space on the far side of the road.
Cars idling, drivers waiting, geese sauntering in the autumn sunshine.
Sometimes, that's all it takes.
<>






No comments: