Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Fall Flowers: Snowball Bush

I never really thought of the snowball bush viburnum as a fall flower, 
but lately I have been seeing them everywhere around town.
I had never realized before how beautiful they are.


We once rented a house that had a large snowball bush viburnum
in the front yard. Back then, it didn't hold a lot of appeal for me
because it had been planted against the guide wire of a utility pole.
That snowball bush always looked painfully cramped and crowded.


Here in Tidewater, the snowball viburnum is in full bloom, 
having transformed its bright green flower heads
to an exquisite fluffy white.
They can grow to an amazing eight inches across,
one of the features that distinguishes them from white hydrangeas,
another southern favorite.

Glad I discovered that snowball bushes had another, happier side.
<>

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I also rented a house with one and the funnest thing was to pick them off & have a "snowball fight." My son loved that!!