Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Daisy, Daisy

Daisy, daisy, give me your answer true.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you... .
                     --Harry Dacre (1892)

Because of the cold spring we've had,
flowers and blooming trees are two to three weeks behind last year.
At Chippokes last  year in mid-May, 
the magnolia trees had already been in full bloom for a while.
This year they had barely started their long slender buds.

Here's a photo from the blog "A Photo A Thought" by Seema Patel.
It shows what the magnolias at Chippokes looked like 
when we were there this past weekend.
Her blog recounts her forays into nature in California and looks very interesting.


Even though there were no magnolias yet,  the daisies were in full bloom.
I can't imagine a flower more at home in its simplicity than the daisy.
They have a subtle strength that isn't readily apparent.
Some I picked along the road are still beautiful four days later.
Next is a photo I took last  year.
(Because I was determined to have a media-free weekend, 
I didn't even take my camera this year.)



We had Sunday morning breakfast at the Gourmet Bakery in Smithfield,
which afforded us a perfect view of pink and white wave petunias 
and gerbera daisies outside the flower shop across the street.
The gerbera daisy is like the field daisy's bold and ostentatious cousin--
loud and showy with a real " look at me!" attitude.

morguefile.com

Whether humble or brash, daisies delight, don't they?
<>


No comments: