Monday, January 13, 2014

Winter Shadows

I've never been particularly fond of winter,
but I occasionally see something
that reminds me winter carries its own beauty.


One of the things that I enjoy about winter 
is the look of the bare tree branches against a clear blue sky.
For some unfathomable reason,
the image always makes  me think of winter afternoon visits 
at my maternal grandmother's house.
I don't know why.
It's just one of those peculiar associations 
that settle into one's mind for no apparent reason.
But it makes me feel warm and fuzzy

This afternoon, the sun cast soft shadows of tree branches
on the brick wall of my neighbor's house,
and I caught sight of it as I passed by the window.
Silhouettes of slender branches
on a January afternoon...
one of the nice things about winter.
<>

No comments: