Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Fall Flowers: Asters

Asters look like tiny daisies.
In fact, asters are sometimes called Michaelmas Daisies
because they bloom their fullest around St. Michaelmas Day--
September 29th.

Asters come in more colors than regular daisies do,
and their flower is much smaller and more profuse.
The petals are more fringed than regular daisies'.
Some aster plants can get a few feet wide.
I've read that the seed heads attract small birds, too--
an added bonus.


When I lived in the Midwest, I had a beautiful aster plant,
light purple with yellow centers. 
I don't have enough sun here to grow them in my backyard, 
but I might be able to find some space in the front,
if I planned ahead.
I never think of planting asters until the fall,
and by then I'm less interested in gardening.


But if you are a more energetic gardener than I,
then asters would be a good choice.
They grow in white, pink, blue, lavender, and darker purples
that would look great with pumpkins and gourds.
<>


No comments: