Saturday, March 8, 2014

Watching the Tree

This morning when I awoke, 
I looked out the window at the bare tree branches.
They were bathed in the gold of a morning sun.
Finally! There is nothing more reassuring 
than the trees wreathed in morning light.
On the other hand, It's a good idea to keep your eye on the trees
--especially fig trees.

Today was spring-like,
so later I walked in the yard over by the fig tree.
For years now, the roots of the fig tree 
have circled away from the trunk in an orderly fashion:


A few days ago, my husband and I noticed
that one of the fig's roots had taken off.
Visible along the top of the ground, 
the root reached straight out about 10 feet. 

It made me wonder if it might eventually get out of hand,
like this fig tree root in Cambodia:

Let's hope it doesn't.
<>

No comments: