Monday, April 30, 2012

To the Swamp

My reminiscence about the honeysuckle along the Dismal Swamp Canal
prompted me to go back on Sunday.
Instead of driving Highway 17, my dearest and I were able to walk along
what is now  The Dismal Swamp Nature Trail, "old" Highway 17, so called
because a newer faster version of the highway was built just to the East.

The Great Dismal Swamp is a thicket of trees, vines, and groundcovers.
Everything grows in or near black water.
Legend has it that if one wandered into the Swamp,
he might not be able to find his way out again. 

If the mosquitos or poisonous snakes like water moccasins and copperheads 
didn't get the traveler, the bears might have:

Join me this week for a walk through the Swamp's primeval forest.
We will encounter its history, its flora, and  ??
Find out this week if we met a bear
 or something else ...
<>



No comments: