Saturday, April 14, 2012

At the Arboretum

During one afternoon this week, I was able to spend a brief interval
at the Chesapeake Arboretum.
Usually my husband and I hike the nature trails there.
I like them because they wind through more than 40 acres
of a thick hardwood forest that has been preserved
in the midst of suburbia. 
But there is another part of the Arboretum to explore--
the varied landscape around the original farm.

There is an old house there which,
according to the web site http://www.chesarbor.org/,
was built in the 1700s. The addition visible in this photo
probably dates to the mid 19th or early 20th century:

A  garden full of pink roses and other plantings
soften the hard edges of the house:

Cheerful flowers are planted around trees:

And a mature lilac shrub is just beginning to flower:

Here's a close-up of one fragrant blossom:

Further out from the house, there's a relic from another time:

But there's more to see.
I'll show you my favorite part of the grounds tomorrow.
<>


No comments: