Saturday, October 12, 2013

Scarecrows

 Every autumn, a local garden center
offers customers the chance to make their own scarecrows.
So every once in a while, I see a house with a scarecrow on the front porch.
Usually they are propped up on a bale of straw, 
looking a little out of place among the flowers and the kale and the pumpkins.
After all, they are not properly employed 
unless they are in a cornfield full of crows.

Crows 

There's a house near me with 3 or 4 scarecrows mounted in the front yard.
So many of them together make quite an impact.
Here are a few scarecrow images
to get you into a harvest kind of mood.

I really like this line of scarecrows. 
They look to me like they are walking single-file somewhere,
possibly on their way to pick pumpkins or gourds.

Here are some scarecrows in Switzerland--
who knew the Swiss needed scarecrows?

I would not want to meet this scarecrow on a dark, moonless night:

This guy looks an awful lot like Ray Bolger in the Wizard of Oz movie:

I'm not sure this one qualifies as a scarecrow.
Too much scare, not enough crow:

And here's my favorite: a scarecrow crow:

A crow dressed to intimidate other crows.
Now that's scary.
<>



No comments: