Tuesday, August 6, 2013

7 Wonders, No. 6

The least movement is of importance to all nature.
The entire ocean is affected by a pebble.
                                               --Blaise Pascal

I like rocks.
Members of my family like rocks, especially one of my sisters.
There are probably but two kinds of people in the world,
those who would pay for a pretty rock, 
and those who wouldn't.
Recently in a rock and mineral shop in Arizona,
I noticed a bin full of small geode rocks.
Breaking them open reveals their crystals.
Amazing how a plain looking exterior can conceal such finery:

I once bought a beautiful but heavy rock, maybe granite
because it was pink and sparkled in the sunshine.
I have a collection of rocks purloined  or purchased
from a number of locations around the country:
Missouri, Wisconsin, South Dakota, Montana, Virginia.
Probably others if I looked around.

So Wonder No. 6 is rocks, gems, and minerals.
Here are a few that speak for themselves:




Whoever said "don't judge a book by its cover"
may have as easily been talking about rocks.
Even if we don't see the beauty around us,
these rocks tell us that it is there if we only look a little more deeply.
<>

No comments: