Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Unexpected

It didn't take long for the year of the dragon to yield the unexpected.

I saw today the violets I have been waiting for had already bloomed,
and I hadn't ever noticed the stems coming out of the leaves
or a tiny hint of purple on the buds.

This picture is from last spring.

Here they are this spring, a bit rain-soaked.
Another unexpected note was
that the blossoms were open in the sunshine,
but later closed up against the rain.
I didn't know they would do that.

The Japanese red maple was also a surprise.
It seems like one minute it had no leaves, and the next
it sparkled scarlet in the sunshine.

I think the loveliest surprise is the profusion of blooms
on the two legacy redbuds I wrote about March 15.
They have never been so beautiful.

And when I catch sight of them through the window,
it's always an unexpected delight.
<>

No comments: