Monday, February 25, 2013

Moonlight Sonata

Late last night, after the television and the lights were finally turned off
and the house had fallen quiet, I sat for a moment in the stillness,
looking at nothing in particular, thinking of  even less.
And during that quiet interlude, 
I noticed a tiny beam of silver-white light reflecting 
on a small glass plate I use for a coaster.
I looked to see if another light was on somewhere in the house,
but all was dark.
A mystery had presented itself.

photo courtesy of morguefile.com

But a mystery not for long.
I looked at the tiny beam of light again and this time saw
a faint shadow from the window blinds falling across the plate.
So I looked up through the slats,
and saw that the moon was shining down at me 
through a perfectly clear and starry night.
This night moon was bright and luminous and nearly full, 
save for a small sliver obscured in shadow.
It was a waxing moon, prelude to the full one 
called February's Full Snow Moon, which will be seen tonight.

And there in the quiet darkness, 
it felt like the moon was shining just for me.
So I sat for a moment longer, bathed in a silver-white moonbeam.
It was a nice way to end the day.
<>

No comments: